I am an avid lover of fresh and savory baked goods such as these Chinese Hot Dog Buns. Unlike the American Hot Dog, the Chinese Hot Dog Buns has the meat baked along with soft and sweet bread.
These are some of my favorite things to bake. Not only are they easy to make, but they are also fail-proof if you follow the exact measurements and use the same ingredients.
You can make these delicious goodies with few ingredients;
- bread flour
- cake flour
- whipping cream
- evaporated milk
I’d describe the taste and consistency of the bread dough as brioche-like. Which is a sweet, soft, buttery, and milky bread. It is a sticky dough and for that reason, you will have to be careful when handling it for this recipe.
How To Store
These keep very well. I bake a fresh batch, individually wrap them up in cling film after they’ve completely cooled down, place them in an airtight container and refrigerate. They last up to a week, probably a couple of days more if you can resist eating them.
Chinese Bakery Hot Dog Buns
- Stand Mixer
- ⅓ cup Whipping Cream
- ⅓ cup Milk
- 1 medium Egg
- ⅓ cup Sugar
- 1 cup Cake Flour
- 1½ cups Bread Flour
- ¾ tbsp Instant Yeast
- ½ tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 8 Hot Dogs
- Egg Wash whisk together yolk and a splash of milk
- In the bowl of a mixer, add the whipping cream, milk, sugar, yeast, egg, cake flour, bread flour, and salt. Follow the exact other.
- Using the dough hook attachment, turn on the mixer, set to medium, and let it go for 15 minutes. Use a spatula to push the dough that sticks on the sides together for an even blend.
- The dough should have all combined into one by now. Now it is time to proof the dough. Place the dough into a deep butter coated bowl, cover the bowl with a cling film and let it rest in a cool dry place for an hour.
- After the hour of proofing, punch out all the air bubbles in the dough. Dump the dough on a lightly floured surface and cut into 8 equal pieces. Use a kitchen scale if you want to ensure accuracy.
- Take each piece of dough and roll it out on the counter into a 10 rope. Roll the rope around each hot dog, tucking in the ends. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Ensure they are spaced out because they will leaven. Repeat until all the buns are assembled.
- Cover the buns with a tea towel to allow them proof for another hour.
- Set your oven at 375 F / 170 C to preheat at the 40-minute mark of proofing. Let the oven heat up for 20 minutes along with the dough proofing.
- Brush all the buns with egg wash and sprinkle some sesame seeds on them. Then place them in the oven. Let them bake for 15 minutes.
- Place the buns on a cooling rack and let them cool down a bit before eating. I like mine warm.