Last Updated on October 28, 2023 by Ray Amaari
Do you wonder if you can use a gel top coat on regular nail polish and get that ultra-glossy, chip-resistant finish? Yes! Gel top coats are typically designed for gel polishes, but they can work on regular polishes too.
Applying the gel top coat adds an extra layer of protection to your nails. It prevents chips and scratches, so your manicure can last longer. Plus, it gives them a high-gloss shine that can’t be achieved with regular top coats alone.
Be aware that applying a gel top coat on regular polish may require extra steps. You have to cure it under a UV or LED lamp so it can set and give you that long-lasting effect.
Understanding Gel Top Coat and Regular Nail Polish
Gel top coat & regular nail polish have different uses. Regular nail polish adds color to nails, while gel top coat adds shine, durability & long-lasting effects. Here’s how they compare:
It’s also important to note that regular nail polish can’t be applied directly with a gel top coat. For the best results, use a gel top coat on gel manicures or hybrid polishes made for gel application.
My friend once used a gel top coat on regular nail polish. It didn’t bond properly & started chipping in a few days. She learned that products must be specifically designed to work together for optimal results.
Remember, if you want the benefits of a gel top coat, use it with compatible nail polishes for a flawless finish.
Using a Gel Top Coat on Regular Nail Polish
Can you use a gel top coat on regular nail polish? Let’s uncover some details!
- Longer-lasting finish
- A glossy, shiny look
- Protects polish from chipping
- Extends wear time of nail art
- Requires UV or LED lamp for curing
- Difficult to remove
- May not adhere as well as with gel polish
- The application process may take longer
Using a gel top coat on regular polish requires additional steps. For instance, it needs to be cured under a UV or LED lamp. Removal can be difficult and time-consuming.
One of my friends wanted her manicure to last for a vacation. She tried using a gel top coat over regular nail polish. It worked and lasted longer than expected – although removal was a bit extra.
Steps to Apply Gel Top Coat on Regular Nail Polish
Ready to give your nails a salon-like finish? Here’s how to do it!
- Prep: Remove old polish & shape your nails. Buff the surface for a smooth canvas.
- Base coat: Apply a thin layer & let it dry completely. This helps the gel top coat stick better.
- Gel top coat: Apply a thin, even layer of gel top coat, starting from the base & extending to the tip. Avoid flooding cuticles or leaving streaks.
- Cure: Place your nails under an LED lamp for the product’s recommended time (30-60 seconds).
- Repeat: For more shine & strength, repeat steps 3 & 4. Cure each layer separately.
- Clean up: Wipe away any tacky residue with a lint-free wipe soaked in alcohol or cleanser.
For the best results, use high-quality products designed for applying gel top coats on regular nail polish. Now, get ready to show off your stunning, glossy nails!
Tips for Long-Lasting Results
For nails that last and look great, try these tips:
- Start with clean, dry nails. Remove any old polish.
- Apply a base coat for protection and a smooth surface.
- Apply two thin coats of nail polish. Dry each coat before the next one.
- Finish with a high-quality top coat. Helps protect from chipping and gives a shine.
- Avoid activities that can damage your nails, like typing hard or opening packages.
- Maintain your manicure by applying another layer of top coat every few days.
For even better results, consider these things:
- Moisturize your nails. Dryness leads to brittleness and chipping, so use cuticle oil or cream often.
- Proper nail care is important. Trim them, and don’t file in one direction repeatedly, as this weakens them.
Fun fact: Gel polish was originally developed for dentistry! Used to make temporary casts for broken teeth, until someone realized its potential as a long-lasting nail polish!
How To Remove Gel Top Coat from Regular Nail Polish
Prepare your nails:
- File gently to remove any extra gel top coat. This will create a rough surface.
- Soak some cotton pads in acetone and place them on each nail.
- Wrap them in aluminum foil to create a seal.
- Wait 10-15 minutes, then remove the foil and gently press down on the nail with a clean paper towel.
Alternative methods for removing the gel top coat include:
- Using a gel polish remover
- Scraping off with an orange stick
- Visit a nail technician.
With these tips, you can safely remove the gel top coat and get a fresh canvas for your next manicure.
Using a gel top coat on regular nail polish? Sure, it’s possible – but it won’t be as long-lasting or durable. Gel top coats are made to bond with gel polishes – not regular ones. Regular polishes don’t have the same bonding properties, so they may chip or peel more easily.
Plus, gel top coats require curing with an LED or UV lamp. Regular polish doesn’t need that step, so curing it incorrectly may lead to a tacky/sticky finish.
Pro Tip: For longer-lasting results with regular nail polish, apply multiple layers of regular top coat. You’ll get extra protection and shine – without compatibility issues.